To be or not to be (A Jack of All Trades); that is the Question.

Ever since I was a young lad I wanted to be an astronaut. No a doctor. No a lawyer. No an entertainer. I sounded confused huh? It wasn't until I got ready to go into college was when I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in the music business. When I got there, I studied voice and was already a drummer, but then I wanted to be an actor. So I got heavily involved into plays. Then my favorite professor Billy C. Hines, director of my university choir, said something to me that stuck and I'm sure stuck with many other students that crossed his path: "You have to focus on just one thing and do it exceptionally well in order for you to succeed." What?!? What does that mean?!?

By 2003 I picked up the guitar as my primary instrument while partially abandoning voice and fully abandoning the drums.

As I got further into my studies, I then realized that I no longer wanted to study about the music business as me along with my fellow constituents felt that we had no support from our own faculty to make it in the business. So then I abandoned studying the music business, but held on to the guitar, but had no options for a career. It wasn't until a good friend introduced to me into his profession of Technology, primarily web design and development. As I continued to grow in the field (I'm still learning), this was something that I felt that I could do and then I became interested in Technology all together.

Now married, a guitarist, a web designer/developer, a future business owner, a future producer, a future piano player, a future concert organizer, who wants to start playing the drums again, who wants to go back to being in plays, become a database administrator full time, own an incorporated business and... *whew* the list goes on. It seems I paid no attention to Professor Hines' words of wisdom.

As I meet people daily, I find that there are those just like me. Perhaps my list is not as extensive as theirs, but like me they find themselves torn between doing just one thing and fulfilling their dreams of doing everything and as the intelligent mouse once said, "Taking over the world."

Are you in this same exact predicament? Are you a Jack-of-all-trades? Seems like the guy above is juggling with just one.

blog comments powered by Disqus