Cut Your Time In Half: Use These Shortcuts in Google Reader

There are days that I have a hard time trying to keep up with what's hot in Google Reader. For those that don't know, Google Reader is an excellent tool used to keep your RSS feeds all in one place. Instead of going to individual blogs and sites to read up on updated daily content, they can go right into Google Reader and it's there for you to read.

Sometimes, life can have you so busy that you either forget or don't have anytime to check Google Reader on a daily basis. After a day or two, you return only to find that you have 1000+ plus items to read through. Yikes! Before, I spent countless hours going through my items in Google Reader scrolling down each item with my mouse until I was finished. This is surely time consuming. But then I find out there is hope... something called "shortcuts".

While reading Damond Nollan's blog post entitled, "A Day in the Life of an IT Manager: Staying Connected," he listed key keyboard shortcuts that I could use while navigating through Google Reader.

  • J/K - Toggles up or down through the list of items
  • Space Bar - Pages down
  • S - Star (favorite)
  • Shift-S - Shares item
  • Shift-D - Shares item with a note

With these shortcuts you can cut your time in half or more, especially for those articles that you're not interested in reading, the J/K keys will help out tremendously. I hope this helps someone.

There are is a full list of shortcuts in Google Reader's Help page, although the ones listed are the most necessary.

blog comments powered by Disqus